General Position Summary
This position is responsible for handling activities related to the import of shipments by ocean or air for customs clearance. Depending on branch location, incumbent is assigned a variety of duties and responsibilities that may include many of the following described duties, and depending on branches that you are assigned to work, your responsibility of essential job functions may differ.
Essential Job Functions
- Contacts customers as needed for information gathering including receiving additional requests and following up on previous information and requests received; Checks customer EDI system for additional information.
- Contacts carriers and steamship or airlines to obtain arrival information.
- Issues arrival notices to customer and coordinates with customer's customs broker as needed.
- Issues customs/in-bond paperwork and arranges delivery if needed.
- Sends emails as needed for urgent shipments to expedite break-downs and release of cargo; May send pre-alerts to retrieve shipments.
- Releases shipments upon receipt of original bill of lading and/or payment.
- Contacts trucking firms to arrange special delivery and handle POD.
- May notify broker for shipment arrival and document coordination.
- Creates new files, inputs freight, terminal, document, com and any additional fees and charges; Requests checks as needed.
- Creates debit invoices for customers for provided invoices; Issues invoices to customers.
- Assembles imports brokerage and breakbulk clearance documents for debit invoicing, customs and import files.
- Breaks down document pouches and consolidation shipments as needed; Prepares manifests as needed.
- Processes T.E. entries, prints delivery orders, prints authority to make entry letters, etc.
- Prepares calculations and reports as needed; Updates and maintains specified spreadsheets.
- Scans all documents and files documents. (If applicable)
- Seeks constant improvement, more efficient and less expensive ways and means in work processes.
- Performs special projects and other miscellaneous duties as assigned by management.
- Maintains high ethical standards in the work place.
- Reports all irregular issues and problems to supervisors for solution.
- Maintains good communication with management, office staff members and outside contacts.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe working area.