Drives diesel powered tractor trailer combination with a Gross Vehicle Weight of up to 80,000 lbs or a smaller vehicle when required.
- Trips may range from 1 to 5 days in length.
- Delivers and picks up freight from specified locations, such as warehouses, stores, industrial plants, railroad yards, shipping piers, and small businesses.
- Verifies freight with shipping papers.
- Drives to specified locations, applying knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, state and local driving laws, and hazardous material regulations.
- Uses skills in highway navigation as well as maneuvering a vehicle in various situations, such as narrow passageways, heavy traffic, and adverse weather conditions.
- Inspects the vehicle for mechanical and safety defects before and after ach trip, and submits a report indicating the vehicle condition.
- Maintains a Driver's Daily log according to Federal regulations.
- Prepares shipping papers for freight received.
- Interacts with customers when delivering or receiving freight or collecting payment for goods delivered.
- Calculates payment due for goods delivered or credit due for goods returned.
- Maintains telephone or radio contact with dispatcher to receive instructions.
- May assist in loading or unloading with a pallet truck or forklift or manually when required (lifting up to 100 lbs).
- May be required to place deliveries at the delivery site according to the customer instructions, including rotation of stock.
- Performs emergency roadside repairs such as changing tires, installing light bulbs, fuses, or tire chains.
- *Maintains regular attendance.
- *Ability to work mandatory over time.
- Performs other duties as requested by Management.
- Responsible for producing a high quality product.
- Responsible for proper hygiene, housekeeping, and safety practices.
*These tasks are considered essential elements of the job.
- READING REQUIREMENTS, Basic Reading, Capable of reading and working with parts and equipment manuals, Able to read and interpret a variety of service manuals;
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS, Basic Math (adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying);
- REASONING SKILLS, Customer Service, Ability to evaluate, Does troubleshooting and provides potential solutions for problems and communicate ideas;
- MECHANICAL SKILLS, Hand Tools, Able to install light bulbs, fuses, tire chains, etc., Understands mechanics of truck and able to diagnose problems;
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS, Good Communication Skills, Good Telephone Skills, Ability to communicate with Co workers;
- OTHER NECESSARY SKILLS/REQUIREMENTS, Has a DOT Medical Qualification Card, Class "A" Commercial Driver's License with endorsements for air brakes and Hazmat required.
At East Penn, our people are our business. We are a family-owned enterprise committed to fostering an atmosphere that honors the contributions of everyone. We want our employees to have long-term careers, and many do – more than 35% of our workforce has over a decade of service. East Penn Manufacturing is a private company and the world's largest single-site, lead-acid battery facility. Serving the transportation, motive power, reserve power, and wire and cable markets.
Equal Opportunity Employer.