Call (855) 348-4671 and ask for our recruiter!
Yard Jockey - Dockworker
Summary of Job Description:
Place trailers & containers between all docks at our facility only when needed as well as receive, sort, process and load/unload boxes or pallets of customer products for transport to designated locations in most safe an efficient manner and according to polices set forth in current procedure manuals by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Safely use yard hosteler to safely move trailers and containers according to daily business needs
- Responsible for safe operation, preventive maintenance and repairs of yard switcher equipment
- Complete daily yard check utilizing the IPAD
- Maintain consistency on the yard by placing empty trailers / loaded trailers in proper
- Inspect all trailers for damage, necessary repairs and inspection expirations, fill out MEM Trailer Inspection or every outbound trailer placed in a door.
- Operates a Powered Industrial Truck (PIT) – to assist team members in loading and unloading freight and placing items either in storage racks or staging areas according to placement direction provided
- Must carry valid/current PIT/forklift license for applicable equipment in use
- Assist in verifying counts, box dimensions and reweigh shipments accurately and record amounts on reweigh and dim sheets, record all exceptions/discrepancies on offload/preload sheets
- Assist in labeling customer goods with identifying information per shippers BOL/cartage agent paperwork
- Load freight into rail, ocean and OTR containers by hand or using material handling equipment per customer routing guide
- Performs daily equipment inspections and notifies applicable supervisor or manager of any mechanical and/or safety concerns
- Report any problems with equipment or safety concerns to Maintenance department daily
- Follows safe equipment operating procedures including pedestrian safety protocols
- Inspects pallets and racks for integrity before use
- Must be able to exchange empty and full propane tanks using safe lifting techniques and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Ensures dock plate and tire chocks are in place before loading/unloading trailers and/or containers
- Perform dock checks to ensure accuracy of on hand inventory and physical location
- Compliance to company policies with respect to the employee handbook, safety regulations and the use of company supplied equipment/resources
Competency Requirements Include:
- Must be able to gather and record data per specific instruction
- The ability to write clearly and informatively and present numerical data effectively and accurately
- Able to read and interpret written information
- Ability to perform basic math skills including addition, subtraction, division and multiplication of whole numbers
- Consistently at work and on time
- Demonstrate accuracy and attention to detail
- Efficient time utilization, meeting productivity standards
- Observe safety and security procedures; report potentially unsafe conditions; use equipment and materials properly
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and 1-year related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to manipulate, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Static (from a standing position) pushing and pulling is required to initiate pallet movement with a pallet jack.
- Dynamic (while in motion) pushing and pulling is required to shrink wrap pallets.
- The employee is also required to climb into and out of PIT equipment, with a seat level which is which is typically 3-1/2 feet from ground level.
- This job also requires the ability to respond quickly to a signal (sound, light) when it appears and the ability to choose quickly between two or more movements in response to two or more different signals using two or more limbs simultaneously.
- The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy. May be exposed to extreme hot and cold weather conditions and dust/dust particles
Apply Online Below Or Call (855) 348-4671 and ask for our Recruiter!