Diesel Mechanic - Class A or B
A journeyman automotive mechanic is one who has served an apprenticeship of four (4) years in the automotive mechanics" trade or a person who has worked four (4) years at the automotive mechanics" trade in any of Its branches or subdivisions and who can, with the aid of tools, repair, erect, assemble, dismantle and maintain automotive equipment of parts thereof.
Essential Functions Statement (s)
- Preventive Maintenance and DOT Inspection procedures and guidelines.
- Electrical systems including, starting, charging, lighting, and basic truck electrical systems.
- Diagnosis and repair of truck, engine, and other truck component electronics systems.
- Inspect brake systems, steering mechanisms, wheel bearings, and other important parts to ensure that they are in proper operating condition.
- Diagnosis and repair of various configurations of lift gate systems.
- Diagnosis and repair of hydrolytic and air brake systems including ABS systems and possess the necessary experience to qualify as a DOT certified brake inspector.
- General trailer structural and suspension n systems.
- Use hand tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision Instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, lathes, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists.
- Welding and fabricating g skills.
- Anju set and reeline brakes, align wheels, tighten bolts and screws, and reassemble equipment.
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment and machinery.
- Raise trucks, buses, and heavy parts or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists.
- Attach test Instruments to equipment, and read dials and gauges to diagnose malfunctions.
- Inspect, test, and listen to defective equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using test Instruments such as handheld computers, motor analyzers, chassis charts, and pressure gauges.
- Recondition and replace parts, pistons, bearings, gears, and valves.
- Rewire Ignition systems, lights, and Instrument panels.
- Specialize In repairing and maintaining parts of the engine, such as fuel Injection systems.
- Align front ends and suspension systems.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain automotive and mechanical equipment and machinery such as pumps and compressors.
- Disassemble and overhaul Internal combustion engines, pumps, generators, transmissions, clutches, and differential units.
- Diagnose and repair vehicle heating and cooling systems.
- Adjust or repair computer controlled exhaust emissions devices.
- Diagnosis and repair of truck drive trains including transmissions, differential systems, and drive line components.
- Diagnosis and repair of engine systems including mechanical engine components, fuel Injection systems, cooling systems, and engine control systems.
- Diagnosis and repair of steering and suspension systems.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Decision Making - Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one's conduct.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED): Required
- 5 plus years of experience In Maintenance and repair of light, medium, and heavy duty trucks and trailers
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office experience preferred
- Must possess or agree to obtain within a specified period a valid Class A or B Commercial Drivers License Must pass PM
- Certification Training (post-employment)
- Must pass Initial Safety Training (post-employment)
- Must pass Forklift Certification Training (If applicable, post-employment)
- Must have dean MVR (motor vehicle driving record)
- Must possess adequate written and verbal communication skills
Other Physical Requirements
- Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth)
- Sense of Sound - Standard
- Sense of Touch